Posts tagged with "health"

EHIC UK European Health Insurance Card

The people entitled to use this card are those who are in Spain temporarily (on holiday or staying at a second home for some months of the year). This assumes you consider that you still live mainly in the UK. Then, if you are a UK student, in Spain, studying as part of a UK course – then a UK EHIC is the correct way to gain health cover during your stay in Spain. 

On the other hand, if you live mainly in Spain, or are planning to do so, you have to register for state healthcare in another way and this will be explained later. If you are a UK state pensioner/insured person who is registered for state healthcare in Spain, the UK EHIC is only for use outside of Spain, while on holiday perhaps, but within the European Union.
If your entitlement to use a UK EHIC is without any doubt, the card will cover you for all medically necessary treatment for the duration of your temporary stay in Spain. Medically necessary treatment is defined as treatment decided by a doctor and will be given on the same basis as an insured resident in Spain. It can include routine or specialist treatment and the monitoring of existing conditions, as long as the treatment cannot wait until you get home to the UK.

The card cannot be used to see a private doctor and is only recognized in state hospitals and health centers. If you want to travel to Spain just to get health treatment, then the EHIC cannot be used. Instead, you need to obtain form S2 from your local health authority in the UK. The same S2 form is needed if you are pregnant and want to give birth in Spain, as once again, the EHIC will not cover you.

It’s important to emphasize that an EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not give you access to private healthcare or cover costs such as a return flight to your home country, and it most certainly does not cover the cost of lost or stolen property

As mentioned earlier, if your main residence is in Spain or are about to retire there, then healthcare is obtained in a different way. Assuming you do not work or pay social security contributions in Spain, and assuming too you do not receive Spanish state pension or benefit, and have never received Spanish unemployment benefit – then you need to acquire form S1 from the International Pension Centre or your local INSS in the UK.

This needs to be presented to your local Department of Social Security in Spain, where they will provide a certificate that confirms your status. This certificate is needed when you apply for your health card (TSI – Tarjeta Sanitara Individual). This card will give you the same cover as enjoyed by Spanish nationals. Once you have this TSI card, you take it to your local medical centre, to register with a doctor, and they will allocate a SIP card. You have to carry this with you at all times and present it whenever you need to visit your doctor, or collect prescribed medication from the chemist.

Finally, it’s important to say that, if you live in Spain and regularly visit relatives in the UK, you need to acquire and carry a Spanish issued EHIC card, to obtain free UK treatment. 

Have a comment on EHIC UK European Health Insurance Card?

Be the first to comment!

Posted by on 12/12/2013 22:56:00

Ambulance Service Red Cross

Red Cross

Red Cross

If you become a member of the Red Cross Association it will entitle you to a free ambulance to the hospital. The staff are extremely kind, courteous and careful and if necessary will provide oxygen en route and any other medical help.

To join the Association you can either visit the Red Cross Office which is on the N332 just north of the Eurogarden Centre in Teulada or you can visit the Red Cross shop in Teulada on Wednesday mornings. Take with your either your Residencia, passport and NIE number and the cost is €36.0 per year. You will also need your bank details. This fee entitles your family and any person staying in your house.

Have a comment on Ambulance Service Red Cross?

Be the first to comment!

Posted by on 01/09/2009 16:38:00

Keep fit classes for over 60's

The Social Services council in Teulada has opened registration for keep fit and tai-chi classes for the over 60´s, This has been introduced for the over 60´s to keep fit and mix with other people.

The classes will be held on Tuesdays from 4.0 p.m. to 5.0 p.m. and on Fridays from 3.45 to 4.45 p.m. in the Social Centre in Teulada and in Moraira in the Espai la Senieta building on Wednesdays and Fridays between 5.0 and 6.0p.m.

Register at the SIT Information and Transaction Service in Teulada and Moraira.

The tai-chi classes for the over 60´s will be held every Saturday in Moraira between 10.0 and 11.0 a.m.

Have a comment on Keep fit classes for over 60's?

Be the first to comment!

Posted by on 01/03/2009 16:13:00

Denia Dog Sanctuary

Denia Dog Sanctuary

Denia Dog Sanctuary

This organisation has been set up to protect and help abandoned and ill treated dogs.
There are many abandoned dogs, many of whom have been abandoned by English. They could be returning to the U.K. and cannot afford the very expensive transportation.

Similarly dogs are abandoned by other nationalities.The sanctuary is open from 9.0 a.m. – 1.0 p.m. and 3.30 p.m. – 6.0 p.m. Visiting hours are from 11.0 a.m. – 12.30 p.m. and 4.30 p.m. – 5.30.p.m.

For further details telephone Steve Allen on 699 872 157

Have a comment on Denia Dog Sanctuary?

Be the first to comment!

Posted by on 11/25/2008 11:34:00

Health Certificate for UK and Other Countries

If you are a Spanish resident and wish to travel to the U.K. you will need a certificate to cover you under the National Health. This is called Certificado Provisional Sustitutorio de la tarjeta Sanitaria Europea. You can obtain this certificate free of charge from the Social Security (Social Seguridad) office in Denia, Passeig de Saladar. This is situated on the road running down towards the sea from the large Mercadona at the top of the town. It is on the left hand side about three hundred yards from Mercadona.

The office is open from 9.0 a.m. until 1.30 p.m. You will need to take your SIP card with you.

Have a comment on Health Certificate for UK and Other Countries?

Be the first to comment!

Posted by on 10/08/2008 17:56:00

Benidorm Keep Fit

A new exercise area on the Levante Beach in Benidorm is available every Tuesday. The special exercise equipment is aimed mainly for the elderly, to allow them to carry out gymnastic exercises in the open air and is part of a 12 million euro project that will eventually see similar equipment installed in other coastal resorts.

There are six pieces of exercise equipment in Benidorm which will allow people to strengthen their upper and lower bodies, stomach and back.

Have a comment on Benidorm Keep Fit?

Be the first to comment!

Posted by on 06/08/2008 16:33:00

Processionary Caterpillars

Almond Blossom

Almond Blossom

Caterpillar Nest

Caterpillar Nest

January to March in the Northern Costa Blanca is a most beautiful time of year. The almond blossoms are in full bloom and flora and fauna starts to spring back to life.
But what’s this – Candyfloss in pine trees? These spherical nests are home to the processionary caterpillar. Hanging, precariously from the lower, sun-bathed branches of indigenous pine trees, these nests hide an irritating secret!

Around the beginning of March the fully developed yellowish/brown caterpillar emerges from its nest to make the journey down the tree trunk, eating the pine needles in its track. It’s a curious sight as the grubs “follow the leader” in a long procession – hence the name – to a warm patch of soil. Here they burrow and pupate to complete their metamorphosis into adult life as a fairly inconspicuous moth. Now to reveal the hidden secret!

The tiny hairs on the caterpillar carry a toxin that is highly irritating to both humans and animals so beware the temptation to stop these little fellas in their tracks. Best keep an eye on domestic cats and dogs, also. Look out for any signs of distress such as vomiting or difficulty breathing and if you suspect your beloved pet may have come into contact with the caterpillars then a swift visit to the local vets is in order.

They’ll soon be able to remedy the situation. Hopefully, you won’t see too many of the nests as local councils are pretty good at ridding the culprits in the early stages. However, if you do I’d give them a wide berth and just admire them from a safe distance!

Have a comment on Processionary Caterpillars?

Be the first to comment!

Posted by on 02/04/2008 20:20:00

Medical Facilities in Moraira

Moraira Local NHS Doctors!

Moraira Local NHS Doctors!

Should you need medical assistance in Moraira, there are choices.

You can visit Assistel, this is a private clinic along the road out of Moraira towards Benitachell where a charge is made (around €50) or if you have a form E111 or equivelent from the U.K, you can visit the Social Services Medical Centre, situated at the entrance to the main car park.

This is open from 8.30 a.m. until 1.30 p.m, Mondays to Fridays. It is advisable to take an interpreter with you if you do not speak any Spanish.

There are nurses at the centre who will attend to cleaning and bandaging wounds. If you need urgent medical attention outside of these hours there is an excellent Medical Centre in Teulada. This is situated on the left hand side of the dual carriageway about three quarters of the way down (there is a wine bodega on the corner)

As this is a one way street you have to continue down the dual carriageway to the first roundabout, turn round and go back on yourself and you will see the medical centre marked.

This centre is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week and if you arrive and it is closed, just ring the bell and someone will come. If you need an ambulance in an emergency you can telephone the Teulada Red Cross and they will take you to Denia Hospital. The charge is approximately €70 and they do not wait so you would need a taxi back. You can find other useful links

Have a comment on Medical Facilities in Moraira?

Be the first to comment!

Posted by on 01/10/2008 18:43:00